Hardly any hiking group can imagine that the few visible ruins are parts of Böckelheim castle that used to be one of the oldest fortresses of the Nahe region.
The first certain notes can be traced back to the year 824 when a so-called Udo and his wife Waltrada dedicated their possessions situated outside the Nahe area to Fulda monastery. About the year 1000 duke Cuno ruled on Böckelheim castle. From 1105 on Böckelheim was part of Sponheim Countship and one of its most important centres. In 1688 the Castle was destroyed during the Palatinate War of Succession. For further information please contact the Mayor
In der Beinde 15