The Monschau Castle presumably originated at the beginning of the 13th century. In the middle of the 14th century, the complex was extended and enclosed by a mighty circular wall and embattlements. This nearly impregnable fortress of the powerful Jülich Counts was besieged with heavy artillery by Emperor Charles V in 1543 and was ultimately overtaken; the town was looted. The castle was only repaired to extend the fortifications of the lower castle.
Auf dem Schloß 4
hours of operation
The courtyard of the castle can be visited the whole day.