Castle ruin Hunolstein On the western edge of the village Hunolstein lies something hidden the ruin of the former castle of the same name. The castle was built around 1190 by Count Folmar of (Blies-) Castel. The name of the town or the castle is derived from the "Hohenstein". Similar terms like "Hoenstein" and "Hunstein" can be found in the oldest church books from the 17th century. The castle is truly built on a high rock. The builder built the castle on the north side, taking advantage of the natural protection on the mighty steeply sloping rock. Burgverwalter was the Vogtschlecht of those of Hunolstein, which managed the castle until 1487 as Untervögte. In the absence of male heirs, the castle then fell back to the Trier Archbishopric. In 1522 the fortress of Franz von Sickingen was plundered and damaged on the retreat of a vain attack on Trier. After extensive renovation, the castle survived the 30-year war better than other castles in the area. The end of the castle-like Burganlage was prepared by the French troops in the "Palatinate Succession War" in 1689. Since then, the ruins have served as a quarry for the construction of some houses in the village.
Phone(0049) 6533 2507