The Catholic church - a Baroque Franciscan chapel
As we have seen, all worldly business was well provided for in the city, but until the 18th century the
city had a bit of a problem with churches. Hachenburg possessed no parish church of its own for a
period of over 500 years, forcing it to turn for its religious needs to the Church of St. Bartholomew
in the neighbouring village of Altstadt. That church was consecrated as early as 1131. Even the construction
of the Chapel of St. Catherine in the 14th Century on the site of the present-day evangelical
Castle Church was not enough to alter the balance of churchly power. Even the fact that renowned bell
maker Tilmann, whose ornate bells still sound out all over the country, was a native of the city, was not
enough to help matters. It was not until the erection of the Catholic Parish Church of the Assumption in
the year 1734 over the ruins of a Franciscan collegiate church, was the spell broken.
The monk in the brown cowl over the main portal signals the building‘s connections with the old Franciscan
monastery. It represents the fi gure of St. Francis of Assisi. What is now the door most frequently
used for access by visitors was once the original entrance to the monastery.
Remodelling work done between 1907 and 1909 gave the church its modern size, as the church had
been previously too small for the celebration of Sunday Mass. The bell tower too dates from this time.