Gastlandschaften Rheinland-Pfalz


Altes Kauf- und Danzhaus | Koblenz

The Florin

Market, on which the old Kaufhaus and Danzhaus stands, was the political and

economic centre of the city in earlier times. Together with the Florinskirche,

the Schöffenhaus and the Bürresheimer Hof, the old Kaufhaus and Danzhaus form

an ensemble of four historic buildings that belong to the most beautiful groups

of buildings in the city.






The old

"Kauf- und Danzhaus" was built in 1419 in Gothic style and rebuilt in

the 17th/18th century. It received baroque elements. The building burned down

in 1944 and was rebuilt in 1961/62. The Mittelrhein Museum was located in the

old Kaufhaus and Danzhaus until 2012 (since 2013 in the Forum Confluentes).

Below the tower clock installed in 1724 is the "Eye Roller", which

moves its eyes back and forth in time with the pendulum of the clock and

stretches out its tongue every full and half hour. It commemorates the robber

knight Johann Lutter von Kobern, who was executed at the Florin Market on 14

October 1536. According to legend, he twisted his eyes on the scaffold and

stuck out his tongue to the spectators. Other sources show that the

grimace-cutting head was already visible on the town's plaque seal in 1290, as

a threatening gesture against the siege of the town by the bishop of




Right next

to the old department store, the Gothic alderman's house was built in 1530. It

was here that the lay assessors of the town court met, whose task it was to

supervise the coins and weights. Until the 18th century, the town pillory stood

in front of the alderman's house. In 1965 the house, which had been destroyed

during the war, was reconstructed. To the left of the old department store is

the Bürresheimer Hof, built in 1659, which owes its name to its then (1714)

owners, the von Breitbach-Bürresheim family. In September 2013, the GÖRLITZ

Foundation acquired all the municipal buildings around the square. The ensemble

at Florinsmarkt is to become a cultural and guest house across all buildings.

You can reach us at:

Kauf- und Danzhaus
Am Florinsmarkt


Altes Kauf- und Danzhaus (Foto: Koblenz Touristik GmbH, Quelle: Koblenz-Touristik GmbH) Altes Kauf- und Danzhaus 2 (Foto: Koblenz Touristik GmbH, Quelle: Koblenz-Touristik GmbH) Florinsmarkt (Foto: Koblenz Touristik GmbH, Quelle: Koblenz-Touristik GmbH)
Arrival by train - Anreiseformular