"Am Plan" was formerly used as a market, tournament and event square.
in baroque form, the square was modernised by Elector Clemens Wenzeslaus of
Saxony, who also had the Koblenz Castle built. The square received its name in
1468 "uff dem Plane", before that it was known as "Forum
carnium" in 1339.
side of the square was largely destroyed during the Second World War, so that
no historic buildings have been preserved here. The fountain in the middle of
the square supplied the citizens of Koblenz from 1806 with drinking water from
the Metternich water pipe, which was built for the Electoral Palace. The French
builders used stones from the destroyed She Schönbornslust Castle and the
fountain bowl from the Carthusian monastery of Beatusberg. In the northern part
of the square a part of the baroque buildings from the 18th century is
preserved. The city commandant's office with the flight of steps was the
official residence of the fortress commandant of Electorate Trier. The building
with the arches and the town commandant's office were used as a fire station
from 1911 to 1973.
Henriette Sontag was born in 1806 in Koblenz at the "Plan" and
appeared at the age of six in children's roles, later worldwide. With her
musical skills she was able to become a Royal Court and Chamber Singer. A
marble plaque on her birthplace commemorates the world-famous daughter of the
city of Koblenz.