Gastlandschaften Rheinland-Pfalz


Am Plan | Koblenz

The square

"Am Plan" was formerly used as a market, tournament and event square.




in baroque form, the square was modernised by Elector Clemens Wenzeslaus of

Saxony, who also had the Koblenz Castle built. The square received its name in

1468 "uff dem Plane", before that it was known as "Forum

carnium" in 1339.



The south

side of the square was largely destroyed during the Second World War, so that

no historic buildings have been preserved here. The fountain in the middle of

the square supplied the citizens of Koblenz from 1806 with drinking water from

the Metternich water pipe, which was built for the Electoral Palace. The French

builders used stones from the destroyed She Schönbornslust Castle and the

fountain bowl from the Carthusian monastery of Beatusberg. In the northern part

of the square a part of the baroque buildings from the 18th century is

preserved. The city commandant's office with the flight of steps was the

official residence of the fortress commandant of Electorate Trier. The building

with the arches and the town commandant's office were used as a fire station

from 1911 to 1973.






The soprano

Henriette Sontag was born in 1806 in Koblenz at the "Plan" and

appeared at the age of six in children's roles, later worldwide. With her

musical skills she was able to become a Royal Court and Chamber Singer. A

marble plaque on her birthplace commemorates the world-famous daughter of the

city of Koblenz.

You can reach us at:

Am Plan
Am Plan
56068 Koblenz


Am Plan (Foto: Koblenz Touristik Gmbh - Piel, Quelle: Koblenz-Touristik GmbH) Brunnen auf dem Plan (Foto: Koblenz Touristik GmbH, Quelle: Koblenz-Touristik GmbH)
Arrival by train - Anreiseformular