Gastlandschaften Rheinland-Pfalz


Infrastructure

Balduinbrücke | Koblenz

The construction of a stone bridge over the

Moselle began in 1332 during the reign of the Trier Elector Balduin of

Luxembourg, after ferries had been used since the fall of the Roman bridge in

the 2nd century. While the bridge was still under construction, it was decided

in 1338 to widen the bridge piers and to build the roadway entirely of stone

instead of wood. The stones were quarried in the neighbouring Mosel village of

Winningen, which can still be seen today from the vineyard location

"Winninger Brückstück", the former quarry. Pope Clemens VI granted

the sale of indulgences for the financing on the grounds that pilgrims would

use the bridge. With the completion of the gate tower on the Lützel side, the

bridge was completed in 1429. After military reconstruction and reinforcement

of the bridge in the 17th and 18th centuries, it was occupied by the French in

1794 and the Nepomuk statue of 1740 was sunk. In Prussian times, the Balduin

Bridge was also integrated into the city fortifications from 1830, with a

traverse tower in Lützel and a large Moselle bridge gate. The gates disappeared

with the demolition of the city wall in 1897. An anecdote reports that the

Eighth Arch, called the Devil's Arch, was damaged in the ice drift of 1831 when

Prussian artillery attempted to remove the ice by force of arms. Today this

arch bears a red sandstone wall. In 1883 iron footbridges for pedestrians were

installed and in 1895 the tram was led over the bridge. When the Wehrmacht

withdrew on 07 March 1945, all bridges in Koblenz were blown up and the

restored bridge could only be used again in 1949. From 1964 to 1970, six arches

on the Lützel side were demolished in the course of the Moselle canalization

and the bridge was doubled in width, completely removing the conversions of the

19th century. In memory of Balduin of Luxembourg, a statue of the Koblenz

sculptor Rudi Scheuermann was inaugurated. In 2013, the medieval section was

completely renovated and reinforced, as the bridge still carries a large

proportion of the road traffic between the districts of Lützel, Neuendorf,

Wallersheim, Altstadt and Neustadt.

You can reach us at:

Balduinbrücke
An der Moselbrücke
56068 Koblenz

Phone
e-mail

Balduinbrücke Richtung Alte Burg (Foto: Koblenz Touristik GmbH, Quelle: Koblenz-Touristik GmbH) Balduinbrücke am Abend (Foto: Koblenz Touristik GmbH, Quelle: Koblenz-Touristik GmbH)
Arrival by train
bahn.de - Anreiseformular