For the first time it is mentioned of the "Gollenfels" as a " Gülden rock which has lain do about the Güldenloch “ in a contract from the 5th April, 1191 between the diocese Mainz and the cloister of Ravengiersburg about goods to Dalberg. Therefore, this remarkable elevation served as a landmark, also with later documents. This place served strategically „ apparently for the cover of the crossing of Römerstraße“. 1614 it was destroyed by Spanish troops and 1619 was rebuilt. Besides, the late-medieval inside structure was preserved to a great extent. A monument of the second lieutenant of Gauvain who left his life there in the fight against the troops of Napoleon is on the castle arrangement.
hours of operation
The castle itself is not accessible to visitor, because she is in private property.
However, from the castle court one has a marvellous look over Stromberg.