Elector Franz Georg Schönborn had the baroque,
palatial dicasterial building erected at the foot of the Ehrenbreitstein in the
middle of the 18th century. The plans for it came from the famous master
builder Balthasar Neumann.
The building originally stood in the immediate
vicinity of Schloss Philippsburg, then one of the most important and largest
baroque buildings on the Rhine. In 1801 Schloss Philippsburg was destroyed by
the French, but the dicasterial building was preserved.
The secular administrative building of the
Elector of Trier housed, among other things, the Electoral Court. In the
meantime, the building also served as a residence, troop quarters, military
hospital, seat of the Nassau government and food magazine. In 1936 the
dicasterial building was rebuilt for office purposes. It was partially
destroyed during the Second World War and rebuilt in 1947.