Kurhaus in the Spa Garden
Spa business began to boom when Bad Kreuznach became internationally renowned following the discovery of radon therapy in 1904. This led to the construction in 1913 of a magnificent hotel complex with four wings to replace the old Kurhaus spa hotel from 1843. Designed by Emanuel von Seidl, the new hotel was inspired by baroque palaces such as the Würzburg Residence. It is most impressive when seen from the spa gardens. Pillars mark out the striking central pavilion. The Kurhaus is still the town’s largest hotel with 125 rooms and 200 beds.
International spa business and tourism are not the only aspects of Kurhaus past: it has also been the scene of historic events. In 1917, during the First World War, the German General Staff had its headquarters here under Generals Paul von Hindenburg and Erich Ludendorff. The “Atatürk Salon” commemorates a visit paid to Kaiser Wilhelm II by Mustafa Kemal Pascha Atatürk, who later founded the state of Turkey. Charles de Gaulle and Konrad Adenauer met in the Kurhaus in 1958 to prepare the way for Franco-German partnership, and in 1982 the hotel welcomed the French President François Mitterand while he was on a state visit to the German Chancellor Helmut Kohl.
PK Hotel Kurhaus
55543 Bad Kreuznach