Gastlandschaften Rheinland-Pfalz


Infrastructure

Rittersturz | Koblenz

The

Rittersturz is a well-known vantage point for hikers in the Koblenz city

forest, not far from Königsbach and the main railway station. As early as 1892,

a Swiss cottage with restaurant was built there, which in 1925 gave way to what

was then the most modern hotel in Koblenz. On 02 June 1928 a funicular railway,

the Rittersturzbahn, was opened, connecting the hotel with the tram stop in the

valley. The hotel survived the war undamaged, so that it was confiscated by the

American and French military as a provisional seat of government.

 

 

On July 8,

1948, the presidents of the ministers and presidents of the West German states

met officially for two days under the leadership of Prime Minister Dr. Peter

Altmeier to take an official position on the decision of the Western Allies to

form a German state from the three occupation zones of the USA, Great Britain

and France. In the conference hotel on the Rittersturz it was decided to accept

the foundation of a state without the Soviet zone, but to form a parliamentary

council, which elaborates a basic law, since a constitution without integration

of the uninvolved parts of the country would hinder a possible reunification.

 

 

Although

this highlight of democracy took place here, the hotel was demolished in 1974

to the regret of many Koblenz citizens after a long period of decline. The

mountain railway was already closed on 25 October 1959. Since 08.July 1978 a

basalt stele by Rudi Scheuermann reminds of the historical event. In the year

2008 the area including car parking was renewed and offers both a view and

starting point for footpaths in the Koblenzer city forest and for supraregional

footpaths such as the RheinBurgenWeg.

You can reach us at:

Rittersturz
Rittersturz
56073 Koblenz

Phone
e-mail

Rittersturz 1892 (Foto: Koblenz Touristik GmbH, Quelle: Koblenz-Touristik GmbH)
Arrival by train
bahn.de - Anreiseformular